Association and Disassociation have been in existence since human mankind.
As per the Cambridge Dictionary, term association (Noun) means –(Involvement) the fact of being involved with or connected to someone or something or a feeling or thought that relates to someone or something.
We can derive from simple English that disassociation means the opposite of the same.
The technical term in NLP – Association and Disassociation has given a tremendous amount of change work and has become one of the important techniques for everyone.
Let me give you a simple example to associate with the term “association”.
This is with reference to one of the coachees I met. The coachee said, that the moment he (X) start this (context kept confidential) discussion, I just feel so agitated that I burst in anger.
When we discussed further, we find that the coachee was so involved with the thought process happening in (X) brain that it was affecting the coachee brain and the stimulus-response of anger emerge.
Now, if we dwell a little more, there is a voice/picture/feeling associated to the situations happening in our world (in present or past) and that’s triggering a response in my action/behaviour/verbally/non-verbally.
Now, if the mind has associated it with the past negative picture/voice/feeling responses, then it would trigger the same/similar negative frequency response in my present. (provided the work has not been done to reduce the intensity).
We all are associated with many things in life. The philosophy to remember is
- Associate yourself with good memories, person, thing which generates a feeling/vibration/frequency which creates a more positive response to you.
- Example- When a person appreciated you last time when you appreciated yourself when you achieved something
- How do you feel and most importantly where do you feel it in your body
- Touch this feeling and you can make it bigger like a Big 42 inches TV or more bigger 52 inches or more bigger like a movie screen, now you also have the volume button, touch the button and adjust it accordingly, and now you have this feeling more enhanced, maybe or enhancing more, and now touch this feeling and rub it throughout your body
- Associate yourself with this every day
The question in your mind would be, where to disassociate and why to disassociate.
Where: Any specific place where you feel pulled, stuck, negative etc.
Why: Ask this question to self:
What purpose is this feeling of associating with negative serving you anyway?
What purpose will feeling of disassociation from negative can give you?
What purpose can I serve to myself when I disassociate?
Have I ever imagined if, I can disassociate with anything which is negative, quickly?
And now as you have understood the meaning and importance of association and disassociation.
Let’s understand the process of how to disassociate fast and create new anchors of association.
Stay tuned for the next article for creating new anchors to the association and pulling yourself from negative situations.